History - AEROPORTI DI ROMA
The history of the capital’s airports begins in 1916, the year in which Ciampino “Giovan Battista Pastine” Airport was inaugurated in Via Appia, for airships and military purposes until 1947.
It was the capital’s only airport until 15 January 1961, when the “Leonardo da Vinci” international airport was inaugurated.
With respect to the original project, the extensions carried out were noteworthy and transformed the original structure, making it the first Rome airport project in continuous evolution.
On 12 February 1974, with the founding of Aeroporti di Roma all the activities were assigned to a sole handler, which became a sole concessionaire for the management and development of the capital’s airport system.
In more recent years, in July 1997 to be exact, the privatization of Aeroporti di Roma S.p.A, was initiated by putting 45% of the share capital on the market with both a public offering and private placement, for Italian and foreign institutional investors. Privatization was completed in 2000, with the divestment of shares held by the state.
Over the years the many development and modernization interventions at the two airports, have permitted ADR to respond effectively to the increase in the volume of traffic.
In 2018, the ADR airport system registered 48.8 million passengers, with over 230 destinations across the world accessible from Rome thanks to around 100 airlines operating in the two airports.
“Leonardo da Vinci” is the “main hub airport” for scheduled and charter international and intercontinental traffic. Rome Ciampino Giovan Battista Pastine Airport is instead, the airport for low cost traffic, “express courier” goods and General Aviation traffic (state, humanitarian and civil defence flights).